One question we hear often at all of our Dr. Dental locations is “How can I make my smile whiter without spending a lot of money?”
To keep teeth as white as possible, our Dr. Dental experts recommend you follow these five simple steps:
1. Avoid smoking and drinking coffee, red wines and soda. These habits, over time, can stain the enamel of your teeth. If you’re finding these habits hard to break, be sure to at least rinse your mouth thoroughly with water after indulging to help prevent staining.
2. Straws are fun, but don’t prevent staining. Many patients ask if drinking through a straw makes a difference and the answer is no. Drinking through a straw does not make a difference. In fact, it’s important to note: If you can taste what you’re drinking, it’s touching your teeth.
3. Floss daily. Particles caught between teeth aren’t always removed by rinsing and brushing and can lead to staining between teeth. Floss daily to remove particles and bacteria and avoid stains.
4. Load up on crunchy fruits and veggies. Foods like apples and celery work as natural tooth exfoliators and help to prevent stains.
5. Visit your dentist every six months for cleanings. A good dental cleaning will not only keep your teeth white and cavity-free but is also important in helping to remove bacteria that may be hiding in the gum line. Research has shown that bacteria may cause many diseases, including heart disease and strokes.